Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The pathetic-ness of Me

So I've been informed that I have a large carbon foot print. Why? Well let me tell you. There is a certain market in town that is known for it's organic-eco friendly-fair trade-bill of fare. I am there almost everyday and often a couple times a day, and because of this there are those who like to think I must have the biggest carbon foot print on the planet; never mind that the restaurant is 1/2 mile from the market. The statement came from someone who buys their organic peaches in the middle of February that have shipped in from Peru. What strikes me as funny (not funny ha ha, but funny hummm) is that one load of organic Peruvian peaches pretty much takes care of a year's worth of me driving the 1/2 mile a couple times a day. I refer you to a post I did on this attitude some time ago. This person said he/she is amazed that for all I do and say for sustainable, environmentally friendly food I still have such a large carbon foot print. Well my friend, I am a walking contradiction. I cook food that is some of the best in the state of Michigan but I love nothing more than a 7-11 hot dog, a pack of Cheetos, and a Big Gulp. I am a member of one of the most conservative religions in the world, Russian Orthodox, but I'm left of liberal when it comes to most issues. I support gay marriage, stem cell research, and believe we evolved from apes, none of which the Church supports. I am a sub-deacon in the same Church but have a mouth on me that would make Gordon Ramsay proud. I watch too much T.V.. I'm a recovering alcoholic because I drink too much. I like fast food. I am a terrible friend and I love cream filled donuts. In short I am a disappointment to most everyone who gets to know me. Here's my point. I'm human. I screw up. I don't live up to expectations. I do most things poorly. And I am willing to bet that when you're alone you too know this to be true of yourself. I gave up long ago, the 3rd grade to be exact and I won't launch into the story that settled it for me, trying to be what everyone else thinks I should be. I am ME and I make no apologies for this and it is my hope you too will give the finger to what everyone thinks you should be. I am Eric, big f@#$ing carbon foot print and all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Sondra said...

Eric- I truly enjoyed this post, and coming across your blog. My husband and I ate for the first time at your restaurant last weekend- since moving here in January, I've wanted to come and enjoy your fare, which we completely did. I'd emailed you several months ago before I moved about the Slow Foods group, and look forward to possible future gatherings.

I have another blog you might enjoy reading- this is a cook that went to school with my daughter in college studying microbiology, who then followed the path of cooking. I think from my reading you might be kindred souls, or at least have common view on life. His blog is at http://viewfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/.

Thank you again for a wonderful meal, and your honest writing....

3/12/2009 5:58 PM  
Blogger Chef Eric said...

Thanks Sondra. I'll take a look at the other blog. I'm still working on getting the Slow Food chapter going. I don't have much time right now but in the near future I should.

3/13/2009 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Melanie said...

Looooved our dinner last night, having the opportunity to talk with you and your staff in person, be in the whirlwind of loving creativity, skill and conscientious details, and peek through the cooler to the processes of the cooks.
And I love your non-apologetic, non- heroic post here. I celebrate it, and your multi-dimensional visions and contributions. Can not tell you how happy we are that you have brought your visions to Traverse.

4/17/2009 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home