Friday, January 16, 2009

My new obsession

Let me introduce you to my latest obsession, corn tortillas. These little bastards have only two, that's dos, ingredients; water, masa harina. And they are proving my long held conviction that the less ingredients in a dish the harder it is to make. I've tried a couple recipes and have now moved to Rick Bayless' recipe. I think recipe is a bit of a stretch as it is more a technique than a list of ingredients. I mean come on!! How hard can this be!? Well, apparently much harder than I first expected. I'm a chef with 28 years in the kitchen. I've tackled some pretty hard techniques and recipes in my time so it was with much confidence I decided I could make corn tortillas. Wrong! To much water, they stick and are chewy. Not enough water and you end up with a cracker, provided it didn't fall apart during the cooking process. Wrong type of corn meal and they suck. Use cold water instead of hot when mixing and they suck. Pan not hot enough? Suck! Pan to hot and they suck. I could go back to drinking if I don't get this soon. It's a good thing I have a lot of hair because I have pulled out a good amount in the past few days. Now it's all I think about. I have to get a life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home