Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A time to get tough

Winter is setting in here in Norther Michigan. Outside the snow is blowing. We are currently under a severe weather alert because of what is called lake effect snow. Winter is difficult for me and I'm not sure why. I tend to like gray dreary days so I know the lack of sun isn't the reason. Winter should be an exciting time. Winter is that time where life goes into suspension. It is a time of pause before life springs forth once again, but in this pause things are going on. Underneath the snow the action of continuing is still happening. Winter hits us particularly hard up here. We live at the edge of Lake Michigan with its cold winds buffeting us. I think of living in Las Vegas for all those years when 33 degrees was an impossible temperature to live in. Now we don't even get the heavy coats out until it's below freezing for a week strait. Foul weather doesn't seem to slow the folks up here down. Blizzards are just another reason to BBQ, in fact, I believe BBQ season doesn't officially end until the propane freezes in the line. Winter makes a people tough in a way nothing else can, which is perhaps why I find winter so difficult. I'm not tough enough yet. This is also the first winter we are going through in the restaurant, and it is a very scary time. Everyone does well during the summer months, but it takes toughness to make it through January to April. Many restaurants don't make it through the slow winters up here, and add to that the 75% failure rate for restaurants in the first year, I think the cards are stacked against us. It takes that uncompromising determination I spoke of a couple posts ago to look the danger straight on and refuse to back down. We will welcome the green grass of spring with it comes, and we will gladly listen to the singing birds when they return, but until then we will set our faces against the harsh winds coming off the big lake and we will find that determination to fight against the snows that are against us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Good luck to you! I've heard good things about your restaurant and, as a native Traverse City person now in Cleveland, look forward to eating at The Cooks' House next time I go up north. My dad and his wife have a reservation in January, I belive.

I really enjoy your blog as well.

11/20/2008 8:03 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Good luck to you! I've heard good things about your restaurant and, as a native Traverse City person now in Cleveland, look forward to eating there next time I go up north. My dad and his wife have a reservation in January, I believe.

I really enjoy your blog as well.

11/20/2008 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home