Tuesday, September 2, 2008

You Know What Grinds My Gears?

A couple months ago I posted a Peter Griffin like rant where I let some pressure of my chest. I think I'll make this a regular feature of my blog. Most of those who know me will tell you that I am a crotchety ol' bastard and have no trouble telling people what I am thinking. Besides, my family has a history of heart problems and I need to let of the steam on occasion, so deal with it. Dinner: Listen folks, when you come to dinner sit there and enjoy it. This getting up and down and up and down and up and down does no one any good. My observation has been that the majority of the upping and downing is for a cigarette. Now, I don't give a flying f$%# what you smoke. I really don't. But when you have to a one between every course it becomes my problem. A good dinner should be like good sex. You need to stick with it and get a good rhythm going. If you can't go a couple hours without a cigarette, then I think it's time you think about quitting. The kitchen is also counting on you staying put. We often will fire the next course while you are eating the current one. This happens if the course is going to take a little longer to cook. We try to time each course so you don't feel rushed and so you don't have to wait to long. It's hard enough without you getting up all the time. But wait there's more!! How do you expect to taste anything just after you've smoked a cigarette? We, the kitchen, could you serve you cat crap and you wouldn't know it because the cigarettes kill your taste buds. Your Server: Repeat after me: "My server is a human being with thoughts and feelings." Now practice this mantra until you mean it. Charlie Trotter puts it best. He says servers are NOT servants. They don't come up to the table and say, "Hi, I'm your servant this evening and I would really like it if you treated me like I don't exist." These men and women come to work every day with one purpose, to ensure you have a pleasant dinning experience. They will get you what ever you need to make that experience memorable. May I suggest you look them in the eye. Call them by name. When they come to the table, stop talking long enough for them to see if you need anything. That is called acknowledging their existence. If you need lemon with your drink don't wait until they bring you the drink to tell them and then wait to tell them you need sugar after they bring the lemon. This really can be done in one step. This may be hard to believe, but there are others in the restaurant for them to look after. You are not the only one. Don't talk over them while they are trying to take our order. In fact, why not treat them as you would like to be treated. Hmmm, that sounds familiar. Reservations: I am a big believer in the reservation system. If someone has the fore sight to call us ahead of time and reserve a table, then we are going to honor that. Don't call us and get upset because we are full for the evening. And no, I don't know who you are and no, I don't care how important you think you are. What do you expect us to do? "Oh, you're so and so and this makes you very important. I'll just call the not so important table you want to cancel them and put you instead." I can't do that. I believe everyone who walks through those doors are as important as everyone else. The whole concept of this person is a VIP is foreign to me. I serve the same food and I expect the servers to give the same service to everyone. I would cook the same for the President as I would for anyone else. We will keep the table for whom ever calls first. With that said, if you make a reservation then honor it. Show up and show up on time. No shows cost us money. Showing up 30 min. late for your reservation puts a strain on the entire system. We often times have a table reserved for the same table you are sitting after you leave. By showing up so late, there may be a problem when the later reservation shows up and because they are as important as you, we would also like to honor their reservation also. And that's what grinds my gears...this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home