Monday, June 16, 2008

You Know What Grinds My Gears?

There is a Family Guy episode where Peter lands a job on the local T.V. station doing an opinion segment where he rants about various topics. He begins each rant with, "You know what grinds my gears?" Well let me tell you what grinds my gears. People who come into the restaurant before we open and get upset because we will not serve them yet. Today a couple came in around 9:45am looking for breakfast. We explained that we don't serve breakfast and that we open at 11:00am. "Don't serve breakfast?" Says lady who looks as she hasn't smiled for years, " I just wanted some eggs and a cup of coffee. Why can't you do that?" Really? If I were to pull up at the bank 1 hour and 15 minuets before they open they wouldn't let me do my business. If I were to knock on the window at any other business in town 1 hour and 15 minuets before they open they would tell me to come back. Why, may I ask? Why are we then expected to drop everything and open for these people. I'm not sure how much people know what goes on in a restaurant before opening so let me fill you in. We get in at 8:30am and start our prep for lunch which begins at 11:00am. Because we want to offer our guests the freshest possible meal we only prep what we need for that day which means each day we come in we start over. It does take us a couple hours to get ready for lunch. If we were to stop and make breakfast because someone comes in before hours we would get nothing done. We don't stand around drinking coffee and picking our noses during our prep time. We don't roll in five minuets before we open for lunch. So I apologize when we are not able to accommodate everyone who comes in before we open. If we could we would but we can't. Sorry. How about some understanding here? "If you aren't open then why is your door open?" Well, maybe, just maybe, I like fresh air. And that is what grinds my gears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home