Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why?

So I've been thinking. In our business plan I wrote as a goal to receive one Michelin star within 10 years. The food I'm doing now isn't Michelin level but in time I think it could be. What I've been thinking about is do I really want to reach that level of cuisine? In the Red Guide, one star means a very good restaurant in it's category. Andre's, the restaurant I left to move up here, is rated one Michelin star, so I know I can cook at that level but I don't know if I want to. I'm having a ball doing the food I'm doing right now. My salads are not perfectly constructed, every leaf doesn't have a perfect spot to be. The main plates are simply built with nothing special about them, but I am so enjoying making them. I don't have to over think anything. This evening, for instance, we're serving a warm rum and raisin bread pudding with some lightly whipped cream. I had some left over, stale bread (which makes the best bread pudding) and didn't want to throw it away so I made a dessert special out of it. Would one find bread pudding on a Michelin level menu? I don't know, but my hunch is no. So what to do? I don't know, I guess I'll just keep cooking a see what happens. Does it really matter if we ever get any Michelin stars? No, I would say not. I living a dream and having a damn fun time doing it. Of course in a few months when we have a couple full time cooks maybe I'll change my mind. It's not a matter of can we do it but if we want to. It takes some pressure to cook at that level. Everything must be right all the time, but at the same time, I already demand of myself and my cooks to cook the best we can. I suppose my best line of action is to not worry about if and continue cooking what I like. Hopefully as time goes on it will get some recognition. I wouldn't mind going up against the big boys from around the nation and playing on the same field they do. I know we can do that. I don't know why I spend so much time thinking about this subject, but it takes up a fair amount time space. Chefs for the most part are ego driven. Sure we do what we do because of love and passion but if truth be told, we love hearing moans and groans from the tables. There's nothing sexier than some one, be it female or male, proposing marriage to me just after they have finished dinner. Want to make a chef your friend for life? Just blow some sunshine up his ass about how good of a cook he is and he'll love you forever. Ego baby, that's why I'm so concerned about ratings. That's why most of us are so concerned. We want to know where we stand in the cast of thousands and nothing does the ego as much good as know you're cooking in the elite category, and you know that because of the ratings, and Michelin is the only rating that really counts. Fine, I said it. Happy? Good. I'm never satisfied with being mediocre. My opinion is if it's worth doing, it's worth doing to the extreme. Why cook OK when I can, and should, cook amazing?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not it took michelin years to cross the pond. Now that it is in major american cities it is only a matter of time before it finds the jewels of the heartland, like Tapawingo and The Cook's House.
Great food is good regardless of the stars on the chefs jacket.

4/17/2008 1:11 PM  
Blogger Chef Eric said...

I could not agree more.

4/17/2008 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home