Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Day 2

I'm not so sure what day of the week it is but I know it's day 2 of The Cooks' House. We, and by we I mean Theresa, my wife, and Calvin, my son have been putting in 12-15 hour days for the last week or so. They have been some real troopers. I've been doing this for 26 years so I'm used to it but my family have been doing it for only a couple weeks. It's a pretty steep learning curve and they have caught on quickly. On Monday afternoon I gave them a crash course in waiting tables and turned them loose for our soft opening Monday night. I must say they are doing very well. Give them a week or so and they'll be seasoned pros. The restaurants I have helped open in the past have always been difficult. There is so much to do it can be daunting. There were usually 10 or more cooks under me which made it much easier. This last weekend my wife and I prepped the entire menu by ourselves. I'm not sure how we did it but, hey, we did. Jen owes us big when she gets back. I can't blame her though. She had the trip to Germany planed way before we got the space. My whole body hurts. My legs hurt. My head hurts. My back hurts. My hands are killing me. I'm getting to damn old for this. Line cooking is a kids job. Chefs in their forties should be screaming orders. Nothing new, but this time it my aches and pains. This time it's for me and my family. It feels good. I am much more confident today in us than I was a week ago. We're open. We have cash flow. We are paying the bills. Survive the next month and a half and we'll be in the clear. Word is slowing getting out. I think people are liking what they eat, at least I hope so. I have never been confident in my food. Just because I like it doesn't mean everyone else does. I am truly surprised each and every time some one says they enjoyed dinner. I have always been this way. Every dinner I have ever cooked I expect it to suck and am pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. Have to go, the wife is tired and wants to get home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kintea said...

Congratulations, Chef Eric!

4/04/2008 12:05 AM  
Blogger Chef Eric said...

Thanks

4/17/2008 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home