Saturday, November 17, 2007

My Last Supper

Today while going through the cook book section in my local bookstore I ran into one called My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals. Now I don’t place myself in the category of “great chef” but I thought it would be a fun exercise to post my answers to the questions posed to these chefs about what my perfect last meal would be. The questions are taken directly from the book.

What would be your last meal on earth?

It would be very simple with no pretension and it would have to be served family style. There would be duck confit served with a salad made from those perfect little French green lentils from Le Puy. I absolutely love a good roasted chicken, so I would get a couple from one of the Amish farms here in the area and roast them with some carrots and potatoes. I cannot forget cheese and with so many amazing ones now being produced in America I would be hard pressed to choose but rest assured there would be at least 10 different kinds. There would have to be a fine selection of dried meats, sausages and salamis with the different accompaniments. On the table would also be the freshest sweet butter, some good olive oil, some crusty bread, fleur de sel, home made jams, dried mission figs, and a large bowl of creamy macaroni and cheese. Last but not least, my wife’s pound cake with a bit of lightly whipped cream just taken from the cow that morning.

What would be the setting for the meal?

Around an old large wooden table in my backyard on a lazy early fall Sunday afternoon. There would be everyone’s kids running around and playing, their happiness would bring so much joy to such an occasion. After dinner we would just sit around talking with each other into the night. And I would be smoking my favorite pipe as we talked.

What would you drink with your meal?

I would have Champagne and a perfectly aged Burgundy from one of the great houses. I would also have to some excellent green tea and a brick of very old purerh tea that has been properly stored. For the champagne and wine I would want us to drink them out of the finest crystal glasses we could find and for the teas we would drink them out of cups made by a master craftsman from China.

Would there be music?

Yes, my favorite band of all time is Human Drama. Their music would be playing through out the whole day.

Who would be your dinning companions?

That’s easy, my family and closest friends would be there.

Who would prepare the meal?

I would have to do the cooking, it is in the kitchen where I find my solace and it being my last meal and all, what better place to end(?), but with that said, I would want my wonderful wife, my son Carlos, who also is a chef, and my sous chef Jen, all in the kitchen with me preparing the food.

I would be interested in hearing what your answers to these questions would be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home