Friday, October 26, 2007

On Cooking and Wives

In the kitchen it is of paramount importance to have a top notch sous chef. A good sous will take much of the everyday running of a kitchen on his/her shoulders and give the chef much needed time to focus on other pressing issues. A good sous chef also acts like sounding board. Often times I will bounce new dish ideas of them or ask opinions on various issues concerning the kitchen like how to best discipline a cook who may need it. Yes, a successful chef must have a great sous chef backing him/her up, but not until just very recently have I began to consider an even more important member of any cooking team I have assembled, my wife. I first started to think of her importance in my cooking not long ago when I was thinking about how much she has had to sacrifice for my career and how supportive she has always been. In the 16 years we have been married I have had off on our anniversary day perhaps no more than 5 or 6 times because of work. The other 10 or 11 years we have had to celebrate on some other day either earlier or much latter. I don't think I have ever had her birthday off. I have missed most weekends, holidays and other important days. She is home most nights while I'm at work. What is the most amazing part is that never once, and I mean never, has she complained about my work schedule. I know she has been disappointed many times. I have seen it in her eyes when I am called in to work unexpectedly on a day off when we have something special planned, but no complaints. She has been there for me in my greatest culinary triumphs and has seen me through my most disappointing moments. I have always said that cooks need to cook for themselves but I have a sneaky feeling that deep down inside I cook for my beloved wife. She is my muse and she is my inspiration. Though I cannot ever thank her enough or appreciate her as she should be, I know I cannot do what I do without her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home